Wednesday, May 05, 2010

National Teacher Appreciation Week Pine Ridge High School

Robert Cook Principal at Pine Ridge High School writes today to NIEA past Presidents that this week is National Teacher Appreciation week with this note about the recent passing of teachers at Pine Ridge High School
Last week the DOE held a historic meeting at our high school on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Many tribal officials, educators, parents and students attended and spoke on the needs, issues and concerns facing our students, schools and communities. The morning of the consultation our school received word that one of our long time high school teachers passed away at his home. We had our students gather during the hearing to pray and sing to honor our teacher. Today we lost another teacher, Carla Brewer, 1962 Pine Ridge High School graduate and 40 + years of service at our school passed away this morning. We gathered again in our gym to honor her service and dedication to our kids. This year we have lost 4 staff members at our school. It is extremely difficult but we must be strong for our students and each other. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and work. This week is National Teacher Appreciation Week, Wopila Tanka to all our teachers across the country who dedicate their service, lives and passion for our students. I am proud to be a teacher and I am so proud to have worked with so many teachers and staff who became my mentors and heroes in my life, thank you to those who encouraged me that I can achieve my dreams and goals. I may not remember some of the things I learned in school but I will never forgot how you made me feel about myself, Thank you!! I know together we can make a difference in the lives of our children.
Respectfully,
Robert B. Cook,Principal
Pine Ridge High School

No comments: